About Me

My photo
I live in the Pacific NW with my husband,our 85 pound black lab and the newest member of our family our adorable little boy! I love to cook, stick my hands in the dirt and grow veggies and flowers, etc., craft for gift giving, repurpose things from my grandmother, find a cozy corner and curl up with a good book, and most of all hang out with my boys and our furry one.

Monday, May 2, 2011

Peace

whitehouse.gov
Gerry and I were having dinner after what was a very long weekend of painting and working like dogs over at the WL house all weekend.   And then it ran along the bottom of the screen that the President was going to be making an announcement soon.   These kinds of things make my blood run cold.   "What now" is what I always think.   It's not  a national disaster - we would just talk about that.   Was it something to do with Libya?  Doubtful they would interupt tv on a Sunday evening for that.   So we waited and then the announcement came.
Osama bin Laden is dead. 
Not sure what I thought at first.   Doubt?   Relief?  Definetly not joy.
Although I know this is a good thing - no great thing - for my country the "celebrations" bother me.  I do not believe in an eye for an eye.  I think there is already too much violence in the world.   I do love that I hear the press talking about him being the man behind the 911 attacks.   I know there were some - and maybe still are - who were a little confused about who was behind all of that.  However I do take solitude in the fact that perhaps the world now can be a more peaceful place......eventually.  
We know how to organize warfare, but do we know how to act when confronted with peace?
      -- Jacques-Yves Cousteau (1910-1997)

UPDATE 5/3:
This came through on Facebook today and I think it pretty much sums up what I was trying to say.
Daily Connect: On Killing our Enemy

No comments:

Post a Comment