About Me

My photo
I live in the Pacific NW with my husband,our 85 pound black lab and the newest member of our family our adorable little boy! I love to cook, stick my hands in the dirt and grow veggies and flowers, etc., craft for gift giving, repurpose things from my grandmother, find a cozy corner and curl up with a good book, and most of all hang out with my boys and our furry one.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Jellyfish

Recently I went to the eye doctor because I felt the glasses I had just weren't enough anymore.  I won't bore you with the details of the 3+ visits it took for me to get what I needed from them but suffice to say I now am wearing contacts.   If you wear contacts you will understand my pain if not you won't........

You see if things keep going the way they have been I'm going to have to get up at 4:30 instead of 5 (yes that's am) to allow myself the time I need to be able to see for the day.   Granted I've only been wearing these for about a week so I keep assuming this will get easier.  On Sunday and I didn't even bother to put them in but then again I didn't even bother to put on makeup so as far as I knew I looked fine.

This morning took the cake.   It should not, I repeat should not, take over 10 minutes to get this flimsy little pieces of slightly tinted jelly fish                                                                                         into my eyes.   Yesterday it took about 5 minutes so you see my dilemma that I'm headed in the wrong direction here.

The fun begins when you approach the contact case.   As far as you remember when you went to bed last night you were sure they were both in there in their respective sides.   So you can only hope that this is still the case (trust me it isn't always - I've had the right one run off in the middle of the night once).   This morning however was a good start and they were both there happily waiting for me to clean them and attach them to my eyeballs.  I started with the right one - not sure why but I always do - maybe because I'm right handed?   I do my due diligence and clean it for the 15 seconds with the solutions before my first attempt.   At this point I have to put on my glasses so that I can look at the bugger and make sure it hasn't flipped itself wrong side out.  

Now is when the fun begins.  I balance the jelly fish lens carefully on the tip of my finger and add a little solution.  I aim for the middle of my eye, pull my finger away and blink.   What happens next is that the little bugger is either still on the tip of my finger or is in a little pile underneath my eye.   "Soft contacts" have the ability to either a) form to the tip of your finger by which they are only noticeable to your eye because someone was smart enough to tint them a non flesh color or b) puddle up under my eye like a translucent small jelly fish that has somehow missed the last wave and is now stranded on the beach.   This can go on for quit a few "takes" as it were.   Usually after about 3 -4 tries I give up on the right eye, deposit it back in its plastic home and give the left a try.  

The funny thing is once I do get them in I doubt that they are really there.  I think --- I can see better can't I?   And where else could it be?   Its not on my finger, not under my eye, and doesn't seem to of attached itself to the porcelain around the sink (again thank you to the person who tinted the buggers). 

At this point most would be done and would go on about their day.  I however have the added joy of having what they call dry eyes so I need to add drops.   Lets just say that I get about 3 drops out of the bottle and I'm lucky if I get half of one in my eye.   G is trying to help me w/ my "aim" and even though apparently watching me do this is funny he has given me some good tips.   Ever seen the Friend's episode where Rachel needs to put drops in her eyes?   I think of this almost ever time.

All I can hope and aspire to is that the time gets shorter each day instead of longer.   I like to consider myself optimistic on this point. 

One of my friends recently said a book could be written about my visits to the eye Dr. but instead you will have to settle for a blog on my encounters with the jelly fish.

Side note:   You will notice there are no pictures......lets remember technically I can't see that well without the lenses so in less the furry one learns to use the camera you will have to use your imagination on this whole affair.   After all G is usually still asleep as this whole mess transpires.

No comments:

Post a Comment