About Me

My photo
I live in the Pacific NW with my husband,our 85 pound black lab and the newest member of our family our adorable little boy! I love to cook, stick my hands in the dirt and grow veggies and flowers, etc., craft for gift giving, repurpose things from my grandmother, find a cozy corner and curl up with a good book, and most of all hang out with my boys and our furry one.

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Pain

Yesterday didn't exactly go how we thought it would.  G went in for surgery.   Was supposed to be simple - they were going to fix his deviated septum and removal of his uvula.  We would check in at 8 am and would be home by 2 pm at the latest and I would probably be back on line for work by 3 pm.   Fast forward to 8 pm that evening......this was the time we were leaving the hospital.  

The problem?   Pain.....hard core, take the color from your cheeks and make you break out in a sweat and just basically knock you on your rear pain.   It was bad - really bad.   His BP at one point was 147/104 and it wasn't coming down.   They just keep giving him pain meds.   Some in liquid cups and some through his IV.   But it wasn't really bringing it down.   At one point they said that he might need to spend the night after all unless he perked up.   G wasn't having that and tired to rally.   Finally around 4 the color came back and he was holding down soft food.  Now if we could just get his vitals to be normal.   The Dr. came by in between surgeries.   Why I'm not really sure to be honest.   He would look at G and say that we could do whatever we were comfortable with - stay or go home.  We were there so long that we kept switching nurses.  The last one - Patty I believe was her name - was by far my least favorite of the day.   And to be honest they were understaffed.   Apparently everyone likes to have surgery in December to get it in for insurance.  The place was buzzing with activity.   Around 6 I ran home to take care of the furry one and stop by Sonic for a bag of ice.   Side note - Sonic has the best ice ever!   So if you are ever sick or having a party I would highly recommend.  When I got back to the hospital shortly after 7 pm he was finally cleared to go home.   Yea!  Now if we could just get someone to check us out......
We got home and this is when the real fun began.   I won't go into all the details but lets just say I probably got about 3 hours of sleep.   We had to be sure to keep him medicated so that pain didn't come back so we would set an alarm and try to get some shut eye in between doses. 
Now if we can just get through today.   We are making progress every hour.   His pain is more managable.  He has keep food down.   The packing is starting to desolve.  And right now I can hear him sleeping next to be in the big plaid chair.   

This is the thing I keep telling myself.   G will get better.  This will be a rough 48 but in the end he will be fine.   Not everyone who was in that building yesterday can say that.  So for this reason alone I am willing to track all doses of meds, loose some sleep, fetch and carry, and do whatever it takes to make him better.   I work with someone who's husband had surgery yesterday as well, however his surgery involved the word "cancer" so my thoughts and prayers are with them both yesterday and today as well.  

Funny thing about love......it makes you do just about anything for the one you feel that for.   After all I believe it was - for better or worse, in sickness and in health.

No comments:

Post a Comment