About Me

My photo
I live in the Pacific NW with my husband,our 85 pound black lab and the newest member of our family our adorable little boy! I love to cook, stick my hands in the dirt and grow veggies and flowers, etc., craft for gift giving, repurpose things from my grandmother, find a cozy corner and curl up with a good book, and most of all hang out with my boys and our furry one.

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Scrap soup


So I read somewhere - not sure where - an easy way to make your own veggie broth.  You always have veggie scraps but never have a whole bunch at one time so.......put what you have in a ziplock in the freezer and just keep adding.   Then once the bag is full you can make your own veggie broth.

I tired it and it worked!

I had a bag of onion, celery, asparagus, carrot scraps.   But it in my big kettle - most of it still frozen - covered it with water and turned the stove on high.   Once it boiled I let it simmer along for about hours.   Here is where I will do this differently next time.   I would let it simmer longer.   Once it was "done" I let it cool for a minute.  Took out the big pieces and ran the rest through a sieve as I put it in Mason jars to freeze.  Not a super strong flavor but it is a lovely color and it was basically free!

This is a must try........

No comments:

Post a Comment