About Me

My photo
I live in the Pacific NW with my husband,our 85 pound black lab and the newest member of our family our adorable little boy! I love to cook, stick my hands in the dirt and grow veggies and flowers, etc., craft for gift giving, repurpose things from my grandmother, find a cozy corner and curl up with a good book, and most of all hang out with my boys and our furry one.

Monday, June 24, 2013

You win some.......

......you loose some

So last week I said I was going to make Sloppy Joes and I did and they were inedible.   This does not happen to me often when I try a recipe.   I can usually "fix it" as my husband says.   This however was not fixable.   The first time I try a recipe I basically do what it says for the most part.  Even though a little voice told me that vinegar was a bad idea I did it anyway.   It tasted ok on Sunday but when I took it out to reheat on Monday.......wowza on the vinegar.   Not to worry I thought this is fixable so I added some sugar and then some more sugar, and then some ketchup, and then some tomato paste, and then basically I decided to quit wasting things throwing them in this pot.   I wasn't really hungry and G was late so I ate some sauteed zucchini (YUM!) and fixed G a sandwich when he got home.   Now most things are better with a big slab of Tillamook cheddar so I slapped one of those on the sandwich.   Didn't work.   G struggled and I said - I know its no good just have a bowl of cereal.   He was sweet and said no problem and that he figured I would fix it for us to eat later.   I told him I'd already tried that and it was a lost cause.   Oh well maybe I should of just used Manwich - wonder if they still make that?

In the winner circle however is this chicken.   It's super simple and what I would call a Pantry Dinner. However, I did half Dijon and half yellow (I know I know that's not following the recipe - I did say most times) as G is not a huge fan of Dijon mustard.   I would however recommend less vinegar.  I had to "fix" with more mustard and syrup after I added the vinegar.

Maybe I have bad vinegar?  Is that possible?   Is there a shelf life on red wine vinegar?

Perhaps I should look into that......

This is in the refrigerator as we speak waiting for me to get home and put it in the oven.  However, I halved the recipe and didn't use onion, pepper, or jalepeno's but did use some mild green chili's.  Oh and I didn't have biscuit mix so I used biscuits in the can on the bottom.   Maybe I don't always follow a recipe the first time afterall?  I seem to be contradicting that right and left now don't I?



No comments:

Post a Comment