About Me

My photo
I live in the Pacific NW with my husband,our 85 pound black lab and the newest member of our family our adorable little boy! I love to cook, stick my hands in the dirt and grow veggies and flowers, etc., craft for gift giving, repurpose things from my grandmother, find a cozy corner and curl up with a good book, and most of all hang out with my boys and our furry one.

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

soups on

I recently made a new soup recipe and although the recipe needs some altering it turned out great!

Here's the recipe.....
Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili Mac

Here's the goods.  I got everything prepped and ready to go early that day.  Then when I went to put everything together later that afternoon it was kind of like being on my own little personal cooking show.......bubba was my audience.



Ingredients
  • 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 large onion, finely chopped
  • 2 tablespoons minced garlic
  • 1 diced Anaheim Pepper  I used a couple of cans of diced green chili's
  • 2 cups sliced zucchini - I used the mini's from TJ and then they could be in rounds.
  • 3/4 cup diced green bell pepper
  • 3 cups cooked shredded chicken breast ( I just used a rotisserie chicken from the Costco)
  • Three 15 ounce cans white beans
  • 64 ounces reduced sodium chicken broth
  • 1 ounce package Ranch seasoning mix
  • 3 limes, juiced
  • 1/4 cup ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 3 cups small dry pasta (I used macaroni)
  • 1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro
  • 1 avocado, diced
Directions
  1. Heat oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Saute onions and garlic until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in Anaheim peppers, zucchini, green bell peppers, chicken and beans. Saute for 10 minutes, stirring often.
  2. Transfer to a large crock pot over high heat. Add broth, Ranch seasoning, lime juice, cumin, garlic salt, salt, pepper and pasta. Close lid and let cook for 2 hours on high. Reduce heat to low or warm. Right before serving stir in cilantro and top each individual bowl with diced avocado.
Ok so like I said I love the recipe but I'm not sure how she thinks all the chicken broth (along with everything else) is going to fit in a normal crockpot.  Because guess what - it doesn't.   Which is totally fine.  You can get enough in there to cook everything.  I then I just added more later.  I made this on Sunday for dinners for the week.   It made enough for two meals, some for the freezer (which would of been great if I didn't leave the freezer door open- but that's another story for another time) and a quart to give the parentals.  I just put the whole thing in the fridge and then took parts of it out and added some chicken broth when I reheated it.   Parentals said it was good so it freezes fine.

Pictures you ask?  Well I took them with my phone - and will they are lost along the way somewhere......

No comments:

Post a Comment