About Me

My photo
I live in the Pacific NW with my husband,our 85 pound black lab and the newest member of our family our adorable little boy! I love to cook, stick my hands in the dirt and grow veggies and flowers, etc., craft for gift giving, repurpose things from my grandmother, find a cozy corner and curl up with a good book, and most of all hang out with my boys and our furry one.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Mom's Day Food

Finally got a chance to download the pictures from Mom's day!

I found out Saturday that my mom's retina had torn yet again in another place.   She had to go up to OHSU to the Casey Eye Clinic to see the on call Dr. (who was apparently very good looking) on Saturday.   He informed her he could do surgery that night or she could wait and have her Dr. do it in Salem on Monday.   She opted to wait until Monday.   Can't say that I blame her.   Sunday morning her Salem Dr. called and wanted her to come down to his office to check her out.   This I thought was great although not so great for him being in the office on Sunday.   Needless to say he confirmed that surgery would need to be done first thing Monday morning.   We still went down to Salem for 'supper' but I wanted to make sure that I took some food down w/ me for them to have on hand for the first part of the week so I threw together a couple of "things" instead of making the Meyer Lemon Olive Oil Ice Cream.



Thing One - Enchilada Stack.
Easy to make and throw together w/ what's on hand


Needed:
Enchilada Sauce
Ground Beef
Cheddar Cheese
Red Onion
Olives (although I forgot them this time)
Flour Tortilla
Refried Beans


How it all starts - I just use a 9x9 pan which makes enough for two meals for us.   Then brown the beef and add the onion.   Then add beans and a little sauce.



Just start layering......I put a little sauce in the bottom of the pan and then torts followed by meat mixture w/ addtional sauce on top and then a little cheese (I forgot the olives)



Repeat w/ the second layer and a little sauce and cheese on top and viola!   Easy peezy.
Throw it in the oven at 350 or 375 for about 30 minutes or so and serve w/ fresh cut tomatoes, avocado, sour cream and chips


Thing Two:
Gingerbread loaf for her w/ crsystalized ginger pieces in it.  This was a HUGE hit. 
It's just the box mix from Trader Joe's and then I add the crystalized ginger.


Thing Three:
Tortellini Soup


It was from a mix - I was in a hurry and needed it quick
 I forgot however to put the tomatoe sauce in at the begining - oops!  But got it in before the tortellini at least


 Finished product w/ the Jasmine plant she is getting as well.   And can I just say the plant smells wonderful.  Might have to go back to Whole PayCheck and get one for myself.


Not fancy or complicated I know but thrown together in about an hour and some change and made w/ love.


We headed down to Salem and had a great meal!


Prime Rib!  Yum!  And the pototoes were devine as well.   Didn't get a pick of the asparagus but she put panko crumbs on them (you can see the crumbs in the back in the pan)




 And for dessert Key Lime Tart from Whole PayCheck - it was so creamy and had just the right of tang.



Good news is Roberta is on the mend.   She still has to keep her head down for so many hours a day and is back to doing drops 4 times a day but this to shall pass.


No comments:

Post a Comment