About Me

My photo
I live in the Pacific NW with my husband,our 85 pound black lab and the newest member of our family our adorable little boy! I love to cook, stick my hands in the dirt and grow veggies and flowers, etc., craft for gift giving, repurpose things from my grandmother, find a cozy corner and curl up with a good book, and most of all hang out with my boys and our furry one.

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Easy Veggie Soup

So recently I had a run where I didn't have anything for lunch - or I should say anything easy to throw together for lunch.   We have a cafe at work but I either make bad choices (hamburger and fries) or it doesn't settle well in the tummy.   So I decided to make veggie soup.  I know that sounds crazy for summer but lets be honest - its a very cool summer here in Oregon (not that I'm complaining) and where I work its freezing.  I had some homemade chicken stock in the freezer that wasn't getting any younger and a fridge full of celery, carrots, and squash so I was set.  The pictures aren't terribly exciting but I took them so they will be posted - ha!

Carrots, red onion, and celery with a little olive oil

4 cups of homemade chicken stock defrosting in the micro

After the carrot mixture cooks for a while I added the squash

Aftere the veggies cooked for another while I added the broth and the other stuff.  This is where you can get creative and add whatever other spices and herbs and such that you want.   My go to for savory dishes- as you may or noticed - is curry powder.

Recipe:
2 Carrots - rough chop
4 Stalks of celery - rough chop
1 Red onion - rough chop
3 Zucchini - rough chop
4 Cups chicken stock/broth
Seasoning to taste:  I added House Seasoning & Curry Powder

I cook the carrots, celery and onion with a little olive oil to start.  Once they soften a bit I add the zuchinni and cook for a little while longer.  Then I add the chicken broth and let the whole thing simmer away for about 30 minutes or so.  You could add some pasta or rice but I wasn't feeling that this week - and I have a tendancy to add to much and it takes over the soup.  Keep in mind my broth/stock was homemade so it wasn't really strong - just right in my opinion.   If you use store bought you may or may not want to add water as well - totally up to you.

Once completed I put it out in dishes for the week.  As the week came around I could add stuff to the soup.  For instance one day I added some leftover corn and chicken from the night before and another day some left over beans.  So I didn't get bored with it throughout the week.  I'm not going to do this every week but it was nice to have easy lunches for the week that were healthy!

I know this is super easy and almost seems silly to post but everyone needs inspiration and maybe this will inspire you to make some soup for your family or lunch for an upcoming week!


No comments:

Post a Comment