About Me

My photo
I live in the Pacific NW with my husband,our 85 pound black lab and the newest member of our family our adorable little boy! I love to cook, stick my hands in the dirt and grow veggies and flowers, etc., craft for gift giving, repurpose things from my grandmother, find a cozy corner and curl up with a good book, and most of all hang out with my boys and our furry one.

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Family Reunion

Ok this is a very tardy post being that the reunion was on the 17th of July but for some reason I haven't downloaded pictures in a while so here we go......


The Hartley Family Reunion has been going on for over 150 years.   My great grandfather - Charles A. Hartley - came across the great plains in a covered wagon when he was 11.  True story.   One day I will get a scanner and maybe I will be able to post of picture of him and Adeline.   When I was a child the second Sunday of every July was spent going to the Hartley family reunion.   All good memories for the most part.   It was just a big potluck of sorts held in a different place each year where I saw a lot of people that I bascially saw once a year.   Many times my grandmother had it had the ranch but in past years we have ended up at Silver Creek Falls.   This seems to be easier as nobody has to worry about getting there house ready for the big function.  This year the turnout was sparse to say the least.    And despite the fact that it was mid July it was POURING down rain and chilly.   My mom has always reserved us covered area - thank goodness - and Emery made a fire this year.   So silly if you think about it being that it is July!  Not that it's ever going to be that warm up there but still.......

The Food
 Which was a little silly this year.  There were 4 couples and I think we all brought 3 dishes a piece. 

Heirlom tomatoes with fresh mozzarella and basil from my garden


Fruit Salad with fresh mint


Deviled Eggs


Berta's cupcakes which were beyond yummy - that little bite just dissolved in your mouth

Berta checking in with the park ranger - making sure we had no "excessive alcohol".  What I ask you would be considered excessive?  One keg - five kegs?

Tom and Cousin Beth



 
Ok so this was a squirel that we had to chase off continously.  He came right up on the table and helped himself to a cookie.   G was throwing ice at him and it didn't even phase him.

The parking lot......those 3 cars in front are ours.

I'm not kidding when I say there was nobody there.  This area is usually packed with people
The sad thing is that I think this is the last Family reunion.  For some reason the turnout is not what it used to be.  Not sure if people have fallen off the invitee list or what the situation is.  Sad that something that has gone on for over 150 years has to end.  

No comments:

Post a Comment