About Me

My photo
I live in the Pacific NW with my husband,our 85 pound black lab and the newest member of our family our adorable little boy! I love to cook, stick my hands in the dirt and grow veggies and flowers, etc., craft for gift giving, repurpose things from my grandmother, find a cozy corner and curl up with a good book, and most of all hang out with my boys and our furry one.

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Thank you Alice

Alice Water's is the reason.   The reason for what you might ask.   The reason we have organic and local foods in our market. The reason for us to think about where our produce comes from and how it is grown.  I try to live the 100 rule as much as possible and whenever possible partly because I adore Alice and all she stands for.  I would have her at my table of 10 and hopefully she would make something and bring it as well.    And since Chev Panisse is celebrating its 40 year anniversary I got out my latest book of Alice's and decided to make Tomato soup.   Now for those of you who know me right now your thinking.... What?.....because you see I used to - yes used to - detest tomato soup. 

It's from the book The Art of Simple Food

Here's the recipe

Warm a heavy bottom pan.  Add:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 medium onion, sliced
1 small leek, white and light green parts sliced (did not use this as I didn't have any on hand)
Pinch of salt
Cover and cook until soft but not brown - add water to keep from browning if necessary (I didn't have to)Add
2 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
Cook for about 2 minutes and add:
2 pounds ripe tomatoes (about 10 medium) washed, sliced, and cored
1 scant tablespoon white rice (add this it helps to thicken the soup)
Large pinch of salt (I prefer sea salt)
1/2 bay leaf (I didn't add this)
1 small sprig savory, thyme, or basil (I put in a big bunch of basil)
Cover over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes fall apart.  (If you like chunkier soup don't cook as long)
Add:
1 cup water (I left this out after the first batch so my soup would be thicker)
1 tablespoon butter)
Conti\inue cooking for another 10 minutes.  Remover the herbs.  Ladle into blender or use an immersion blender.  You can pass through a strainer but I don't - I love the real consistency.





I'll be honest.  I added just a smig of sugar to one batch and a little curry to another.   You could play around and do all kinds of things.  You could add a little cream or sour cream as well but personally I wouldn't do that and then freeze it, I would do that when I was getting ready to eat it.  Also, I doubled this recipe twice after I made the first batch.  For 10 lbs of tomatoes (and I still have at least 10 more lbs on the counter) I now have a little under 7 quarts of soup!  Yea for the freezer and enjoying this in the cold of the winter for lunches and perhaps dinners.   On tap for dinner tonight.....grilled cheese and homemade tomato soup!  Think I will make some homemade croutons to go on the tops as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment