About Me

My photo
I live in the Pacific NW with my husband,our 85 pound black lab and the newest member of our family our adorable little boy! I love to cook, stick my hands in the dirt and grow veggies and flowers, etc., craft for gift giving, repurpose things from my grandmother, find a cozy corner and curl up with a good book, and most of all hang out with my boys and our furry one.

Thursday, July 5, 2012

4th


The last 8 or so years I have spent the holiday at my parents beach house.  There have been many variations of this over the years with different parts of G's family being a part of it.   But always on the 4th we are there w/ my parents having a BBQ and watching fireworks either from the beach or from the front porch.

This year however was different.  Being that the 4th is smack dab in the middle of the week and I only got Wednesday off we spent it at home.  Largely due to the fact that I am saving every last hour of my vacation for when Lil J gets here.  We had met G's mom for breakfast on the other side of town so instead of coming home we decided to go on a short road trip....... 
Mt Hood - so pretty and still lots of snow

Timberline - I know you can't see it but there are people skiing and boarding on the mountain!  One lift was open.  The parking lot was packed.  Who would of thunk that people could spend the 4th skiing?
 
Me and my belly at the base of Mt Hood/Timberline 
Mt. Jefferson - just ignore the power lines
After we left Timberline we drove around Mt Hood and ended up in Hood River.  Such a pretty valley.  So pretty to see all the fruit trees - mostly cherry.  Should of taken more pictures I know but I didn't.   We stopped in Hood River for lunch at a local hamburger joint that was all locals and us.

And then it was on down the Gorge to Multnomah Falls.  This place was packed, after all its something to go and do about an hour out of Portland for free.  Families of all shapes and sizes all over.  The Falls were so pretty and creating a light mist.  We toured the gift shop and read all about the history grabbed ourselves a ice cream cone and headed back to our car.



We were home by around 3 pm.   Was perfect.  Gave me time to have a little cat nap. 

One thing I realized from this little road trip.   We do live in one of the prettiest places on earth.  I know this but its always good to be reminded.   Our landscape is so diverse as well.   To think that we were never more than a couple of hours from home and yet our scenery was constantly changing.   Yes we do get a lot of rain but that is why everything is so green -  we've had a wet spring and it shows.   Keep in mind that being able to ski over the 4th is not normal but I'm sure fun for those that enjoy such things.  They say its nothing but sun for the next 10 days or so - no rain in sight.  Not sure if I believe them but will be interesting to see how it all plays out.  I am thankful we have air so even if it truly does get to 90 on Sunday our house will stay cool. 


No comments:

Post a Comment