About Me

My photo
I live in the Pacific NW with my husband,our 85 pound black lab and the newest member of our family our adorable little boy! I love to cook, stick my hands in the dirt and grow veggies and flowers, etc., craft for gift giving, repurpose things from my grandmother, find a cozy corner and curl up with a good book, and most of all hang out with my boys and our furry one.

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Lemonade

I will be honest here.   There are many a time when I use a mix from a box when baking.  I know, I know  but lets face some days its just easier.   People loved my cupcakes and used to beg for the recipe which always made me laugh.   One day I came clean with a friend and told her it was from a good friend named "Betty".  Frosting on the other hand is a different story.   That has to be made from scratch.  I've yet to taste a store bought one that taste good.

All that being said I am going to a reunion this weekend and decided to make the following cake I found on Baked Bree - its called a lemonade cake.  I figured since summer has officially started around here this would be perfect.   And as she mentions in the blog is a great one to bring out in the depths of winter when you need a little sunshine.

The recipe is super easy and really probably includes most of what you already have on hand.  You might just have to pick up the lemonade concentrate and the buttermilk.  I also think it would be fun to do it with limeade but the first time I make things I like to stick to the recipe for the most part and the play around later.  I also plan to make these into cupcakes but this time a sheet cake seemed easier.  The almond extract is my only addition on this one.   I just can't help myself.   If its savory odds are it will have curry in it and if its sweet odds are it will have almond extract in it - its just the way I am.



Here's the recipe:

Cake
1/3 cup butter, room temperature
3 eggs
2 1/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/3 cups sugar
1/4 cup frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 teaspoon or so almond extract
1 1/4 cup buttermilk

Frosting
1/3 cup butter, room temperature
3-4 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup plus 2 Tablespoons frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 teaspoon or so almond extract
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. For the cake.....
  3. Beat butter and sugar together. Add eggs one at a time. Add lemonade concentrate and vanilla.
  4. Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl.
  5. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture. Add 1/2 of the buttermilk. Repeat until all of the buttermilk and flour is incorporated.
  6. Pour into a 9×13 that has been coated with cooking spray. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes.Cool completely.  For my oven it was more like 27 minutes so I suggest checking after 25 minutes.
  7. For the frosting......
  8. Beat the butter until smooth. Add 1 cup of sugar. Add in 1/3 cup of the lemonade concentrate and vanilla. Gradually add the rest of the powdered sugar. Add remaining lemonade until you get a nice consistency.
  9. Spread frosting over cooked cake.
Cake cooling......
Frosted and done!  The blueberries might of been a touch too far but oh well!

My helper might of gotten a little too close when I was making the frosting....
All in all it was a success and is definitely I cake I would make again.   It has a rough texture though so I wouldn't make this into anything but a sheet cake - in other words my gut was right not to make this into cupcakes.  The buttermilk kept the cake moist and the cake did not have a tang but boy did the frosting.

A great picnic cake as it did transport well


No comments:

Post a Comment