About Me

My photo
I live in the Pacific NW with my husband,our 85 pound black lab and the newest member of our family our adorable little boy! I love to cook, stick my hands in the dirt and grow veggies and flowers, etc., craft for gift giving, repurpose things from my grandmother, find a cozy corner and curl up with a good book, and most of all hang out with my boys and our furry one.

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Small Gestures

Because there doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day I sometimes run errands at lunch.   It gives me a break out of the office and a chance to get some fresh air at the same time.  At times I have been known to find a favorite song on the radio and crank up the tunes and sing along - great reliever for a stressful or monotonous day.

Today I ran to the grocery store because I'm going to be busy this weekend with other stuff I probably won't have time to do my normal Saturday morning run.   When I pulled into the parking lot I noticed a man in a wheelchair with a sign saying he would take anything.......I thought to myself I must get him some food of some sort and give to him on my way out.   I don't believe in giving people money.  I do however believe in giving them food or toiletries of some sort.   G and I both have carried granola bars in our cars for exactly these types of occasions and I have yet to have anyone turn down or not be grateful for the gesture.

Well I went into the store bought everything I needed and then stopped at the sandwich store next door to get some lunch.

Needless to say I completely forgot about the man until I pulled up along side him on my way out.  There was only one thing to do - give him my sandwich.  I had the resources and ability to get something else he clearly did not and it was lunch time.  

I do not tell this story for pats on the back but more for a gentle reminder that its the little things you do for others you know or don't know that can make the biggest impact.   And lets face it - it helps you to feel good as well.  

With all the awfulness in the world - like the stabbings at the school in Pennsylvanian yesterday - the more we all practice small acts of kinds the better.


No comments:

Post a Comment