About Me

My photo
I live in the Pacific NW with my husband,our 85 pound black lab and the newest member of our family our adorable little boy! I love to cook, stick my hands in the dirt and grow veggies and flowers, etc., craft for gift giving, repurpose things from my grandmother, find a cozy corner and curl up with a good book, and most of all hang out with my boys and our furry one.

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Dilly Do!

One thing that I do every other summer is make dill pickles.   This is the on year.   Being that summer is late so are the vegetables (usually I would make these mid July - not the end of July).  Also, on my top ten summer list is canning something.  So in case I don't have the time to make tomatoe jam this definetly counts!

The cucumbers
 The dill

The jars

 The other ingrediants

 My "helper"


 The process


The finished product


The Recipe

Cut the blossom end off of the cucumbers (I trim both ends) Pack cukes in jars with dill weed, dill seed, and garlic.  You can also add grape leaves and picling spice but I don't.
Pour over this HOT liquid
1 cup vinegar
3 cups water
1/4 cup pckle salt

Be sure everything is hot!  Your jar, your rings and your lids.  However don't let you lids boil as this can affect the seal. 
You don't need a water bath on these if your liquid is hot and your jars and rings are hot.  Everything should seal just fine - listen for the magical PING.
I do this in batches.  I double the liquid and do about 4 quarts or 6 pints at a time. 
You will notice there is no exacts for the garlic or dill weed or seed because it's personal choice.  I put in a good amount of all three but its totally up to you how much you do.
This is Ada Irene (my grandma's) recipe and I think she was actually with me in the kitchen this year helping me along and laughing at me but then again I feel her with me a lot these days when I'm doing these kinds of things.
Also, you can't eat these babies right away.  I say it's always best to wait until Thanksgiving but truth be told we probably won't get to these until next spring.  However the pints.....those are for presents so if you have me to dinner at your house or you mention that you might want to try some I might be so inclined to give you a jar.



No comments:

Post a Comment